My name is Csaba Okrona. I’m currently and engineering manager at Contentful, leading one of the infrastructure teams. I used to be an engineering manager at Prezi before. I currently live in Berlin - see my LinkedIn profile for more.
I’m a seasoned and business savvy engineer manager.
Always thinking about new ways of growing engineers, improving the business, the teams and the processes.
Specialties: Team & peer coaching, management.
Being an IT executive has completely reaved, ruined and shaken my life. I can never be thankful enough for that.
A full stack web engineer with 13+ years of experience. Keen on performance optimization of online services, scalability and architecure.
Programming languages: python (django), scala, clojure, go, rust (past-past: PHP, ruby, rails, erlang)
I have been managing software engineers in the last 5 years
- that beliefs should be subject to revision
- in growth mindset vs. innate talent
- in the notion of ownership
- in roles vs. status and position
- that old guards and new guards can be friends (http://randsinrepose.com/archives/the-old-guard/)
- in lean and agile – the principles, that is, not necessarily the implementations
- in empowering people
- that communication and culture in and between teams make or break a business
- that the ‘people first’ approach wins in the long run
- in openness and transparency on all possible levels
- in ‘consult’ and ‘sell’ vs. ‘tell’
- that one of the greatest joys for engineering leads is to see their engineers grow both professionally and soft-skill-wise
- in hiring for potential vs. hiring for knowledge
- that soft skills should be filtered for during the hiring process with great focus
- that change is not only necessary but also good – though only if it’s conscious
- that aiming for clarity gets you 80% there in communication
Me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ochronus/